Potter Cemetery News
Work/Visitation Schedule for Potter Cemetery 2020/2021:
We begin at 9 am by meeting at the locked gate at 3700 E. Sigler Rd. We work until done and must leave one hour before sunset. If you are unsure of coming due to weather and/or easement concerns please call 734-693-0902 or e-mail Sue.
- Saturday, Sunday, Monday, May 29, 30, 31 Memorial Day weekend.
- Friday, Saturday, Sunday, June 18, 19, 20
- Friday, Saturday, Sunday, July 2, 3, 4 4th of July weekend.
- Friday, Saturday, Sunday, July 16, 17, 18
- Friday, Saturday, Sunday, August 20, 21, 22
- Saturday, Sunday, Monday, September 4, 5, 6 Labor Day weekend.
- Friday, Saturday, Sunday, September 17, 18, 19
- Friday, Saturday, Sunday, October 15, 16, 17
- Thursday, November 11 Veteran's Day
- Saturday, November 20
- Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday, November 25, 26, 27, 28 Thanksgiving weekend.
- Saturday, December 18
- Friday, Saturday, December 24, 25 Christmas Eve & Christmas Day
- Friday, January 31, Saturday January 1, 2022 New Year's Eve, New Year's Day
Potter Cemetery recently celebrated its rededication!! Congratulations to Sue Donovan and the other trustees for their work in getting a historical marker in the cemetery. Sue and her team planned and executed a great event on Sunday, September 17th with music, raising of the flag and a 21 gun salute (and musket salute too).
Thanks to the Andy Clark from the Monroe County Historical Museum and Bill Saul for shuttling attendees to the event. It is a LONG walk otherwise.
Thanks to Andy & Phyllis Vanderbush, the Carleton VFW, Rick Danes, Carleton American Legion, Brian Egen, the Dodsworth Duo, Senator Dale Zorn and to all that attended to make such a memorable day.
Plaques made from walnut from trees felled in the cemetery were presented to individuals and groups who helped make the restoration of Potter Cemetery possible. Our president, Mike Van Wasshnova accepted the award for GSMC. See photo to right.
The best part of the day was when Sue Donovan was given her plaque, she received a standing ovation! Well done and much deserved, Sue!!
If you have been a member before and would like to rejoin we would love to have you back and the dues are the same. Checks can be made out to Friends of Potter Cemetery and sent to me, Sue Donovan at 30066 Marr, Gibraltar, MI 48173 There is no application to fill out. Call 734-675-5162 or e-mail for more information.
Mark Armbruster & Sue Donovan near the recently uprighted tombstone for Royal Potter
Several markers have been cleaned, repaired, and put upright. See below for a great example!
Julia & Roswell Flint's marker- as found when the Potter group was able to get into the cemetery (on left) and again once the group was able to do their magic! This stone was adopted by GSMC in Florence Wilson's memory. Thanks to Sue Donovan for an updated photo (Sep 2015).
Check here for the latest happenings with Potter Cemetery!
- A Melting Pot of Family Recipes, a cookbook to benefit Friends of Potter Cemetery, is now available!! It is soft cover, has 325 recipes, cooking hints, index, etc. and costs $11.00, shipping is an extra $4.00. This was done by a committee of 4, with recipes contributed by members, friends, relatives, and co-workers. Proceeds will benefit the restoration, maintenance, and preservation of the historic Potter Cemetery. Checks can be made out to Friends of Potter Cemetery Association and sent to Sue Donovan at 30066 Marr, Gibraltar, MI 48173. Or pick one up at the Monroe County Historical Museum, 126 S. Monroe Street, Monroe, MI.
- Gov. Snyder signed HB 5404 to prevent landlocking of cemeteries in MI on Dec. 31 at 5:26 pm. It has been filed with the Secretary of State and is now PA (Public Act) 525 of 2012 with immediate effect.
Many thanks to Rep. Dale Zorn, his staff, including John Manor, Sen. Richardville and all the legislators. And to former, and now deceased Rep. Kate Ebli, who first took on this cause with us. The votes in both houses were unanimous and now it is law!
- There is now gravel on the path into the cemetery, making entry much easier!