Potter Cemetery News
Potter Cemetery continues to grow with five new members thus far for 2017. There is now a lifetime membership option of $100.00 (each person) available in addition to the usual $10.00 annual membership. We would love to have you join us whatever you choose.
We have applied and been approved for a State Historical marker by the MI Historical Commission. Our text for both sides of the marker has been written and we hope to have the marker in place and dedicate it on Septmeber 17, 2017 when we re-dedicate the cemetery.
Help is always needed for mowing, general clean up, planting, mulching and more. Contact Sue Donovan at 734-693-0902 or at firstname.lastname@example.org
If you have been a member before and would like to rejoin we would love to have you back and the dues are the same. Checks can be made out to Friends of Potter Cemetery and sent to me, Sue Donovan at 30066 Marr, Gibraltar, MI 48173 There is no application to fill out. Call 734-675-5162 or e-mail for more information.
The Monroe County Board of Commissioners passed a resolution supporting our efforts to apply for a State Historical Marker from the State Historical Commission in Lansing. The marker, if granted, will be 42" wide x 54" high with different text on each side with two installation posts. It will be installed inside the cemetery gate at the end of the easement, not at Sigler Rd.
Keep your fingers crossed the application is approved!
Work/Visitation Schedule for Potter Cemetery 2017:
Begins at 9 am and we can work until one hour before sunset. Call 734-675-5162 or 734-693-0902 to check, all days are weather & easement permitting.
- Friday, Saturday, Sunday May 19, 20, 21
- Saturday, Sunday, Monday, May 27, 28, 29 Memorial Day weekend.
- Friday, Saturday, Sunday, June 16, 17, 18
- Tuesday, July 4
- Friday, Saturday, Sunday, July 14,15,16
- Friday, Saturday, Sunday, August 18, 19, 20
- September 2, 3, 4, Labor Day weekend
- Friday, Saturday, Sunday, September 15,16,17 Proposed re-dedication is temporarily scheduled for Sunday, September 17
- Friday, Saturday, Sunday, October 20, 21, 22
- Saturday, November 11, Veterans Day
- Saturday, November 18
- Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday, November 23, 24, 25, 26, Thanksgiving weekend.
- Saturday, December 16
- Sunday, Monday, December 24, 25, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day
- Sunday, December 31, New Year’s Eve
- Monday, January 1, 2018, New Year’s Day
Mark Armbruster & Sue Donovan near the recently uprighted tombstone for Royal Potter
Several markers have been cleaned, repaired, and put upright. See below for a great example!
Julia & Roswell Flint's marker- as found when the Potter group was able to get into the cemetery (on left) and again once the group was able to do their magic! This stone was adopted by GSMC in Florence Wilson's memory. Thanks to Sue Donovan for an updated photo (Sep 2015).
Check here for the latest happenings with Potter Cemetery!
- A Melting Pot of Family Recipes, a cookbook to benefit Friends of Potter Cemetery, is now available!! It is soft cover, has 325 recipes, cooking hints, index, etc. and costs $11.00, shipping is an extra $4.00. This was done by a committee of 4, with recipes contributed by members, friends, relatives, and co-workers. Proceeds will benefit the restoration, maintenance, and preservation of the historic Potter Cemetery. Checks can be made out to Friends of Potter Cemetery Association and sent to Sue Donovan at 30066 Marr, Gibraltar, MI 48173. Or pick one up at the Monroe County Historical Museum, 126 S. Monroe Street, Monroe, MI.
- Dave Carter of Carter Cemetery Restoration has been busy in Potter Cemetery. Several tombstones have been cleaned, repaired, and reset. It is really beginning to look like a cemetery again!
Friends of Potter Cemetery (located in Ash Township, Monroe County) has begun an Adopt-A-Stone program to help offset the cost of repairing, resetting & cleaning the approximately 70 monuments and headstones in the historical Potter Cemetery. The minimum donation is $25.00 and can be added to at anytime. Once your donation is received you will be mailed a current photo of the headstone you are adopting as well as other information pertaining to that person. All donations are tax deductible.
Names of Those in Potter Cemetery To Be “Adopted”
- John F. Hawley
- Tirzah Hawley, wife of John
- Francelia Hawley, dau. of John & Tirzah
- Samuel/Simon Hawley, son of John & Tirzah
- John Neidermeier
- Thomas Tear
Please contact Sue at 734-675-5162 or email for more information.
- Gov. Snyder signed HB 5404 to prevent landlocking of cemeteries in MI on Dec. 31 at 5:26 pm. It has been filed with the Secretary of State and is now PA (Public Act) 525 of 2012 with immediate effect.
Many thanks to Rep. Dale Zorn, his staff, including John Manor, Sen. Richardville and all the legislators. And to former, and now deceased Rep. Kate Ebli, who first took on this cause with us. The votes in both houses were unanimous and now it is law!
- Friends of Potter Cemetery now has an ad in the weekly, free, Monroe Buzz to generate publicity, donations and help.
- There is now gravel on the path into the cemetery, making entry much easier!